How to Repair Corrupt DJI Video Files?
“I’m trying to fix a corrupt .mov file. The video splits into a DJI_0001.MOV and DJI_0002.MOV. It is the first one that is corrupt. VLC can’t play DJI_0001.MOV, but it is playing the DJI_0002.MOV just fine. I’ve tried the trick of starting up my Mavic, and created a new video… but it didn’t work. Any other ideas?”
“I am VERY often getting corrupt files from the Spark. Any clue as to what’s going on? When I try to copy the file from SD card to the Mac, I get this error. The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “DJI_0045.MP4” can’t be read or written. (Error code -36)”
“I had made videos previously using my Phantom 2 Vision Plus and they were fine. They use to come up on my Samsung tab 2.0 lite and also when I use to upload them on my computer. But today, I added couple of videos which were quiet important and when I tried to view them on my tab they weren’t coming up. While mounting the SD card to my laptop, it showed that video file is corrupt. It was in .tmp format. What should I do now?”
These are some scenarios shared by Drone users on various forums about encountering corruption in DJI videos. The DJI videos get corrupt due to several reasons. However, the important thing is that you just can’t afford to lose your high-quality videos shot with DJI cameras due to corruption. Hence, in this post, we have discussed the reasons that may cause corruption in DJI videos and some simple methods to repair corrupt DJI video files.
Reasons that Cause DJI Video Files Corruption
There are various reasons that may result in DJI video file corruption. Some are:
- While shooting videos from your Drone camera, an abrupt shutdown may corrupt your video files.
- The file may get corrupt due to exposure to high temperature (usually 32°F to 104°F for DJI Phantom drones).
- Be it DJI Mavic Mini, Inspire, Spark, or Phantom, the malware attack can lead to video corruption/damage.
- Due to any kind of interruption or the accidental device shutdown, the video may get corrupt.
Whatever be the reason for corruption, you can easily fix the corrupt video files with the below mentioned methods.
Methods to Repair Corrupt DJI Video Files
- Repair with Command Prompt
- Use DJI fix Software
- Use VLC Media Player
- Repair DJI Videos with Video Repair Tool
Method 1: Repair Corrupt Video Files with Command Prompt
You can use command prompt to repair corrupt DJI video files by following the given steps:
- In Windows PC, type ‘cmd’ in Search bar. Right-click on Command Prompt and choose ‘Run it as Administrator’.
- When Command Prompt window opens, type “dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth”.
- The command will find the corrupt video files (it will take some time).
- On completion of this command, type sfc /scannow to scan the corrupt video files and fix them.
[Caution: Don’t close the command prompt window while the scanning process is going on. It may take some time to complete the procedure.]
Once the process is complete, you will see any of the following messages:
- “Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations” – It means that your operating system (OS) is not able to detect any corrupt file in your drive.
- “Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation” – It means that you have to repeat the same process with SFC (System File Checker) but in the Safe Mode.
- “Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them” – It means that the Windows have found the corrupt video files and fixed them.
- “Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them” – It means that the damage to the video files is too extensive and Windows can’t fix it.
Method 2: Use Djifix software
You can repair the corrupt DJI video files with djifix, an open-source command-line application. However, the program has its limitations. It can fix the corrupt video files shot with DJI Inspire, Mavic Mini, Spark and Phantom (or DJI Osmo camera) only.
Follow the given steps to repair corrupt DJI video files by using the application:
For Windows (32-Bit):
- Download the software from http://djifix.live555.com/.
- Download the file “djifix.exe”, move it to the same folder where your corrupt videos files are saved.
- Run ‘cmd’ command and use ‘cd’ to change the folder, containing “djifix.exe” file and file that you want to repair.
- In Command shell, type ‘’djifix name-of-video-file-to-repair-including-any-.MP4-or-.MOV-filename-suffix’’.
For macOS X (64 Bit):
- Download the software from http://djifix.live555.com/.
- Download the file “djifix” and move it to “Movies” folder.
- Move the video file that you want to repair into the ‘Movies’ folder.
- Run ‘Terminal’ command that you will find under Utilities > Application (folder).
In Terminal window, type the following command;
chmod +x djifix
Method 3: Use VLC Media Player
You can use open-source VLC media player to repair corrupt DJI video files (MP4 or MOV).
Follow the given steps:
- Make a copy of the original video files shot with DJI drone cameras.
- Rename the MP4 or MOV files to AVI.
- Open the VLC Media Player and go to Tools > Preferences.
- In Simple Preferences window, tap on Image/Codecs.
- Go to Damaged or incomplete AVI Files.
- Choose “Always Fix” from the dropdown.
- Click Save.
Check if your video files are repaired.
Method 4: Repair Corrupt DJI Videos with Video Repair Tool
If you are still unable to fix the corrupt video files, use a professional video repair tool such as Stellar Repair for Video software. The software can repair unlimited number of video files of same or different formats shot from drone cameras and others.
Steps to repair corrupt DJI video files by using Stellar Repair for Video:
- Download, install and run the free trial version of Stellar Repair for Video on your Windows PC or Mac.
- From the interface, click Add File to add your corrupt DJI video files.
- After adding the corrupt video files, click Repair.
- When the repair process completes, you can see the preview of repaired files.
Note: The trail version of the software will repair the videos and show you the preview of repaired files. However, to save the repaired file, you will have to activate the software.
Tips/Hacks to Play Inaccessible DJI Video Files
- Try another video player to play the videos such as KM Player, 5KPlayer, SMPlayer, etc.
- Insert SD card into drone and power on the camera. Wait for at least 30 seconds. DON’T FORGET to STOP Recording and turn off the drone. This must auto-repair the broken-videos (according to DJI Phantom user manual).
- Try updating your camera’s firmware. This could play your videos without any interruption.
The DJI videos may get corrupt due to several reasons. No matter what would be the reason for video file corruption, your primary concern is to repair and get your files back in a fine condition. This post mentioned some effective methods to repair corrupt DJI video files. However, repairing corrupt videos by using command prompt, djifix application and VLC media player have certain limitations in terms of file size, severity of corruption, etc.
To avoid such limitations, the best way is to use a professional video repair tool like Stellar Repair for Video. This DIY software is easy-to-use, and efficient at fixing any number of damaged or severely corrupt video files at one go. The software is available for both Windows and macOS users.
We want your views!
In case of any queries, feel free to write them down in the comment section below!
Join the Drone Photography Bible community on Instagram
Do you love drone photography? Click through and follow us on Instagram for drone photographs from some of the best drone pilots at the moment.
As always, if you want to have your drone photography featured on the Drone Photography Bible Instagram feed, tag @dronephotographybible and hashtag #dronephotographybible. Your photos will feature on our Instagram as well as on the drone photography galley on our website.
Want your images to feature on our articles? We dont pay for images but do give shout outs, promotion and praise. Reach out to us on our Instagram to show us the photo you want to feature!
Finally… Do you want write for Drone Photography Bible? We are accepting guest and featured writers now. Check out the write for us page for more details.
1 thought on “How to Repair Corrupt DJI Video Files?”
Awesome information sharing!